Wednesday, February 13, 2008

what's the point?

I boycotted practice tonight for my competitive frisbee team. It is below freezing, raining, and the captains insisted that we will still practice outside as planned. Her email read "It's wet out, so make sure to bring layers and clothes to stay dry!"

No duh, it's wet out. Why are we insisting on going outside? We have indoor space reserved. Why not just go there?

One of the captains is a self-described "super-competitive" girl. She tries to play nice, but she fails miserably. She bobs her pony tail and tries to be all ditzy and cheery on the sidelines, but when she actually gets on the field or when she's running a play during practice, she is extremely cocky, impatient, and sees herself as God's gift to women's ultimate. She is good--I will give her that--but she's not THAT good.

When we left practice on Monday, she said we would be practicing outside today. I grunted because I didn't understand the rush to be outside. It's not as if it's the middle of March, the sun's out, and generally we're all itching to go get some (relatively) warm fresh air. It's freezing out, and it snowed four inches yesterday!

I am just as hardcore as the next girl over, and then some, but I don't believe in being hardcore for the sake of being hardcore. We don't HAVE to practice outside right now. There is no need to practice outside right now.

If we had a game or a tournament to play, and it's our bad luck that the weather ended up pretty much sucking--snowing, raining, hailing, even if the fields are covered in ice--I wouldn't even blink an eye. I would put on my layers, pull a hat over my head, cover my stuff on the sidelines with a trashbag, and be the first girl out there on the field playing my hardest 120%.

But there is no need for this right now. It IS just practice, after all. We don't have to be hardecore just to prove that we can be. If it weren't raining, I may have just sucked it up and gone to practice, but it's been raining all day non-stop. There is no way I am going out there.

It was probably immature of me to just boycott practice altogether. A more mature thing to do would have been to voice my opinion. But I've had such a long day today, and I don't have much patience to deal with crap maturely.

4 comments:

geekhiker said...

Just as well you didn't go, I think. I know there are days I skip the gym because my heart's just not in it, and I've found out from experience that trying to work out when one just isn't mentally there is a waste...

Anonymous said...

I have been on a mission to make the default state for rain-day be Not Play. If it is fucking cold and raining, we Do Not Play. If the teams want to, they can get together and arrange a game, but if they don't, they Don't Play.

Now the default is teams play in the fucking cold rain unless they decide not to. And someone die-hard always pipes up and says Let's Play! Since we can't admit that someone else loves Ultimate more than we do, everyone agrees. It is a bad system, that leads to playing in the fucking cold rain.

Splum

Christine Staley said...

yeah... I wouldn't have gone either... if she wants to be all bitchy mcbobblehead about it at the next practice, just throw an elbow into face...

what? I'm sick and cranky. my inner snark takes over then.

:)

Seine said...

now that you mention it splum, that's so true! the funniest part is that if it's cold & raining, and we decide to Not Play, it won't be because it's cold & raining ... it will be because, god forbid, we wouldn't want to screw up the wet fields with our cleats