Thursday, April 3, 2008

the past few weeks

The problem with not posting regularly is that it quickly becomes a viscious cycle to never post ... There is so much to write about and nothing to write about all at once that sitting down to post becomes a mental block as I feel obligated to recount all the previous posts brewing in my head first before actually getting to the topic of the day. It's debillitating.

So today's going to be overcome paralysis day as I summarize the past three weeks in a list format (my college communications class taught me well):

1) Lessons learned from the other side of the interview table - We're in the middle of a hiring frenzy, with three positions open at last count. From over-qualified candidates to candidates who bomb it on interviews to inevitably making candidates wait longer than expected to hear our hiring decisions, it makes me wonder how I will ever get back into this job search thing in a year or so. Maybe I should just stay where I am after all ... they're probably not going to kick me out, so why put myself out there for people with unreasonable standards elsewhere?

2) I'm not invincible to sports injuries. I got myself some ITBS, aka a form of runner's knee. I'd never heard of it before my exhaustive google search after not being able to even walk without pain. I know knee injuries suck, and I've always said a silent prayer when I see others with knee injuries and thanked god that it wasn't me ... I just never thought I'd get a knee injury. This means staying off the ultimate fields for a while ... hmm ... good excuse to skip practice for a while.

3) Resentment builds sometimes, but I've accepted that this is just who I am, with Broadway or with anyone else. At a sushi restaurant out in the 'burbs Monday night, we both looked at each other across the table and said we weren't sure the highly rated restaurant was worth our 30 minute drive. Then Broadway said, laughingly, "Well, I think we just have high standards." This made me think, silently, resentfully, "You mean YOU have high standards." Then I thought, no wait, I do have high standards. Which then led to the thought, "But my standards have gotten higher since dating YOU." 10 seconds later of yo-yo thoughts, and I was over the whole thing. We all have things we harbor secret resentment for, but we're still golden if at the end of the day, they don't approach anything remotely fundamental. It's the big picture that counts, and the big picture is good.

So there really wasn't all that much to write about the past few weeks. Perhaps it was justified that this post was so long in coming. The life is just ... unnoteworthy.

1 comment:

geekhiker said...

Sounds like you and I are, to some small degree, on the same page at this point.

I know how you feel about the whole job search thing. It's always a question: is it worth taking the risk?

Good luck with the knee.

Not sure what to tell you about Broadway. The fact is that being in a relationship changes both parties, but the fact that you're so uncomfortable with the thoughts, well, I can see why you keep thinking about them. But, like you said, the big picture is good, and I hope that it continues to stay that way. :)