Monday, October 13, 2008

holidays

The trouble with grad school is that you forget about the holidays. The frat boys playing football on the field outside my window midday puzzled me. Don't they have class? The empty bike racks this morning should have been a sign, but I didn't realize it was a holiday until I went to get a sandwich at a campus eatery, only to find the eatery closed.

It wouldn't have made a difference even if I had remembered it being a holiday this morning. I would have still come to work. I guess that's the other trouble with grad school. There aren't real holidays and weekends.

I realized I never updated on the job application issue of last week. I didn't email HR, not wanting to be annoying. Wednesday morning, I decided to email an acquaintance to ask if she had heard anything back from the company. She very promptly replied that she also had not heard, and in fact, she didn't know anyone who had except one guy who knew a guy who got rejected. So, basically, a similar story to mine.

That email exchange actually completely calmed me. I stopped thinking about the silly job application and went on to do other things, instead of refreshing my Inbox every 5 minutes in hopes of seeing some kind of a response.

Friday morning, I got the email. I have an interview this Friday!

2 comments:

geekhiker said...

Don't feel too bad. My office gets off very few holidays, so I'm right there with you.

Will keep my fingers crossed for your interview!

Sitcomgirl said...

Ohhh yeay! Good luck, I will cross fingers for you :)