Saturday, December 20, 2008

the email i didn't think i could write

Hi [The Ex],

I heard from [Mutual Friend] this week that you got engaged! Congratulations!!! I'm really happy for you and [New Girl] and am really glad that you guys found each other and are as happy as you must be.

[Mutual Friend] also mentioned that [Your Brother] got engaged earlier this year, and I laughed at that (in a good way!). It was wonderful to hear about all this good news, and I'm sure they're helping to lift your mom's mood. (Last time we really talked, she was having some hard times ... )

So, do you guys have a wedding date in mind? Is she still in [Midwest City]?

Happy holidays, and I hope you're staying warm! (It snowed tons in Boston today, and it's still snowing)

[Seine]


Once I decided that the email needed only to be congratulatory, it was much easier to start it. Once I got the first sentence down, the rest just flowed. So now the email sits in email land. I don't know what I want him to say. I don't think there is anything he can say that would ever be truly satisfactory to me. So it's lose-lose to him really. His best response is probably to not respond at all. Any response will most likely disappoint me.

No response would mean I can be justified to hate him and despise him forever.

2 comments:

Sitcomgirl said...

That took guts to write. One of my ex's got married earlier this year, and while at the time I was in a really happy place, I couldn't help but be bummed that he had moved on completely. We're friends on FB and now I have to look through all the honeymoon pics and try not to be sad.Grrrr.

geekhiker said...

I'm impressed that you wrote it. Hopefully, no matter the result, it will give you some closure, even if that closure takes time to come.