Sunday, January 18, 2009

strange ...

Here's something quick ...

I got a random email today, from someone I don't recall having ever met. In fact, googling the name turns up nothing. He's not a student, nor does he have a Google footprint. The email went as such:

Hello Seine,

I am very impressed that you are able to juggle a specular [sic] load of extra-curricular activities on top of being a graduate student at [University]. Has this negatively impacted your work? Do you think you would have been much more productive in research (and perhaps even have graduated by now) if the time and energy you spent on activities were instead directed at your work? Looking back, do you regret having spent your time in this way? Does your advisor know and/or approve? And what do you plan to do after graduation?

Sincerely,
Random Guy

Not sure what to make of this. All of his questions are so negative. Would I have been more productive? Would I have been a better student? It pretty much implies that I've not made academics my priority when I should have as a student first and foremost. Well, first and foremost, there is not a single sentence about himself.

Broadway said I should just ignore the email. I probably should have, but I'm so weak for stuff like this. Someone contacts me out of the blue ... it makes me feel kinda important, you know? Even if it all seems to judging and negative.

So I shot the following back:

Hi Random Guy,

Are you wondering about juggling the two yourself? I'm curious as to why you ask. Perhaps we've met, and I'm just not recalling ...

Seine

Let's see if Mr. Guy responds.

1 comment:

geekhiker said...

Aaaaand?

(Yeah, I know, I'm late in catching up on my blogroll...)