Wednesday, September 20, 2006

lunch date!

RC's going away on a conference this weekend, leaving tomorrow afternoon and returning Sunday. The timing's actually perfect, because I have a friend (let's call her Legare) visiting from out of town this weekend. So now, I can just focus on her, and not feel bad to not have time for RC, or to force some kind of "let's all hang out together." I'm sure the latter would be fun, but I kinda want alone catch-up time with Legare. She's coming with me to Poker's BBQ on Saturday, btw, and he's challenged us to croquet (or did we challenge him? I don't remember the order).

Monday, RC called me to say hi. We didn't talk very long. I didn't hear from him yesterday, and I actually wondered, "aww, RC didn't call me today." Then I realized, "Why can't I call him? In fact, I should probably call him since he's the one who usually makes the calls to me." Especially after our conversations from last weekend, I didn't want him to think that I don't want to take the initiative to pick up the phone and dial because I was no longer interested.

So this afternoon I called him and left a message, "Calling to say hi. I know you're leaving tomorrow [Thursday] for the conference, and I was hoping to just catch you before you left." He called back (he had a doctor's appointment when I called), and we chatted nicely for some 15 minutes, and he said he'd get in touch once he gets back from his trip.

About an hour ago, he called me again. I was with one of my students, so I let it go to voice mail. When I called him back, he said he realized that he wouldn't see me for a few days (well, duh sherlock, you're going out of town on a conference :), so he wanted to see if I would be free for lunch tomorrow. I actually have a meeting (with lunch provided) scheduled for tomorrow, but I still scheduled a lunch with RC after the meeting, so we now have a lunch date tomorrow at 1pm.

I just thought it was really sweet that he would call and ask to get lunch with me before he left town. It made me feel special. The way he said it too was great. He has this very patient mellow voice, and when he said "I realized I wouldn't be able to see you for a few days, so I thought maybe we could get lunch tomorrow so I can see you before I leave" ...

*sigh* I melted :)

No comments: