Wednesday, November 22, 2006

and we're back ...

... back because the questions just get more numeous and seemingly more serious. RC asked the same questions that Key once asked. "Why do you want to know so much? Why all the questions?"

I just want to know because I'm curious. I'm the kind of girlfriend (yes, I said it, I'm his girlfriend) who wants to know all the details of history. How many people have he slept with (and before that, how far had he gone physically)? How long does he date people before leaping into bed with them? How deep did he ever get emotionally? Etc. etc. etc.

RC claimed he had nothing to hide, and he would answer all my questions, but then said he didn't want to because he thought I would use the answers against him in some grand plot of ulterior motive. Umm ... ok.

1 comment:

Pandax said...

The level of detail is something that's challenging to know how far to go. I have one girlfriend who made an agreement with her boyfriend (now husband) that they don't talk about their pasts. She has a vague idea about how many, but she knows no names, no details. That's how she likes it because it's in the past and has little to do with how they are now with each other.

I found that to be an interesting idea. I've learned from my own mistakes that asking some questions is okay, but too much detail can get you into trouble. The trouble is not necessarily fights or arguments, but more about setting the wrong impression or expectation based on past behavior. The saying that runs through my mind at this moment is "Past performance is not a guarantee of future results."

Curiousity is tough to curb. It's nice to know, but I also acknowledge that I might obsess about things from the past that don't matter. Because of that, I see the pluses in keeping the details minimal.