Wednesday, November 22, 2006

what's acceptable?

RC's really stressed out. He has three major things coming up next week, and I'm not sure he's worked on any of them yet, and he always wants to sleep. When he sleeps, he sleeps until noon the next day, thereby wasting the entire next day. Thus begins a viscious cycle whereby he needs to stay up really late the next day to do work, going to bed late, and sleeping in until noon again.

I asked him how he got everything done when he was writing his Masters thesis (he was back with the ex-girlfriend then), and he said that he had to isolate himself. So I told him if he needs to isolate himself, not come over, not stay over, do work at lab, then go ahead, if that's what he needs to do. Problem is that I think my definition of isolation is different from his. His definition seems to be complete isolation; I haven't heard from him (no email, no phone) at all. My definition is simply a physical isolation; you still call/email because you think about each other.

We made some tentative plans for Thanksgiving weekend; going to a friend's house for dinner and then Friday we had planned to go around Boston like tourists, go to see some stuff neither of us have seen before, and stay at a bed & breakfast Friday night in the heart of Boston. I emailed him yesterday (I'm tired of calling him) and basically said that even though I know we'll have a good time, if he at all feels like it's an obligation/burden right now because all the stuff he needs to get done, he doesn't have to do it. I would rather spend a day & night together being tourists in our own city when his mind isn't stressed and preoccupied.

I also sent him an ecard along the lines of "hope to brighten your day, and i'm thinking about you."

Nothing. No emails. No phone calls. No quick email to just say "hey, got the card." A thanks would be nice; a mere acknowledgment would suffice too. I know he's busy, but I find it a little weird that he completely cut me out.

Normally around now, I would give him a call. Today, I'm not going to. I'm tired. He can call me when he gets around to thinking about me.

Am I being unreasonable? Or do I have reason to be rather upset?

No comments: