Tuesday, February 6, 2007

a confidence boost

I should mention that for the past 1.5 years, I have served in a RA-like role for a dorm of undergrads. It's a pretty sweet deal because I get a nice one-bedroom apartment for myself, and I don't have to pay rent for it, so all my graduate stipend money can go to frivolous things like shoes. Workload wise, it's really not bad at all; I maybe spend 5-10 hours a week with my students.

Another round of applications for open positions will be due soon (in mid February, I think), and the office that runs the process has been holding information sessions in the past few weeks about the role, the job description, the requirements, etc.

So RC went to one of these yesterday, and he said that the person leading the info session started things off by asking everyone present to introduce themselves and talk about why they want to apply. One guy said he wanted to apply because he knows a couple of people who currently do this, and he really thinks it's a valuable thing. So the session leader asked the applicant whom he knows, and the applicant rattled off two names, one of which was mine.

RC said that after the session leader heard the two names, he said, "Well, I'm not really familiar with so-and-so, but Mini, she's fantastic. She's really one of our best."

Wow, I didn't realize I was doing that great of a job :) I asked RC who the applicant was who mentioned my name, and he said he didn't recognize the guy. I also asked if RC himself mentioned knowing me when it was his turn to say why he wants to apply, and he said no, he just let it go.

No comments: