Sunday, February 11, 2007

an awkward day

It started in the afternoon last Thursday. I was feeling rather giddy and wanted to send a text to RC, so I flipped open my phone, went to the last text in my Inbox and replied to it, sending "baby, i miss you!!"

A few minutes later, I felt my phone vibrating, and I smiled to myself thinking that RC was texting me back. Except it wasn't RC. It was Mr. Consultant. At first I was confused, then it dawned on me that I had actually texted "baby, I miss you!!" to Mr. C (oh. my. god.) and not to RC because the last message in my inbox was actually from Mr. C (he texted me during the Super Bowl).

Totally flustered, I didn't know what to do, so I tried to make it all seem funny and lighthearted, texting back:

Hahahaha!! sorry, no :)

Then I realized that the text could be misinterpreted pretty badly, as in, sorry, that wasn't for you, but just to rub it in your face, I'm gonna put a smiley face on it. So I started to text a 2nd message to explain ... Before I could finish, Mr. C texted back.

That's what I thought. Better resend to the new man in your life.

By now, I had finished my explanation text, so off it went: Sorry, I should explain more. I hit reply on my last text instead of starting a new one ... but the last one was yours about the colts :) so sorry!!

His response: Whatever dude

Which made me pause ... wait, was he mad? My first instinct was to text something along those lines, "wait, are you pissed off?" But then I thought better of it, not wanting more things to be misinterpreted ...

So I sent another sorry: Sorry again...

He writes back immediately: Really it's okay. I'm gonna delete this in case my girlfriend wants to play with my phone again

My reaction to this was, oh okay, he's being sarcastic, nothing new, but hey, he's making a joke! Yay, it's lighthearted again!

So I texted back: Haha sounds good; you do that :)

Then I get his text: Yup

This made me rethink the purpose of his sarcasm; I don't think he was trying to make things light-hearted. I think that he was indeed pissed off. But if he were so mad, why did he keep texting me back? It made no sense to me why he would have sent me the worthless text of "Yup." What could that one word possibly have been for? Nothing, so it was a worthless text. Best Friend (who's now back in the US, yay!) disagreed; she thinks that maybe he wanted to make sure he had the last word, which may be true.

I'm also confused as to why he would have gotten upset in the first place. It was an honest mistake; I didn't send the original text to him out of some weird plot of spite to rub it in his face. And we dated only three times, and it was last summer, that I think it's a bit ridiculous if he would harbor resentment that I'm dating someone new. In fact, I would think the normal assumption would be that after seven or eight months, both people have probably dated other people.

Then I thought maybe the smiley faces, my attempts to make the situation funny and lighthearted, may have pissed him off, that he really did misinterpret my first text. More and more, I think that's probably what happened. I should have just initially said something along the lines of "gosh, that was embarrassing. Sorry, the text wasn't intended for you" and just left it at that.

I did not reply to his "Yup" (what would I have even said?), and he didn't send any more texts. To add to the awkwardness of the day, I went to the grocery store later, and totally thought I saw my friend British Guy in the "Shop the World" aisle. At first, I walked right by the aisle (he didn't see me) because I didn't have time to stop & chat, and I didn't want to do a fly-by hello. Then, I saw him in the main aisle, so I had to say hi; I even waved. Until I realized that he was staring back at me with a very blank expression on his face, and he was, in fact, NOT my friend British Guy, but a complete stranger.

No comments: