Monday, February 19, 2007

dream about Email Boy

The dream about Email Boy requires the back story, a story during which I really wished I had an anonymous blog to rant to.

Email Boy was this boy I fell hard for, for a long time. I first met Email Boy when I came to Boston for grad school. He was in my department, a couple of years ahead of me. The first time I met him, I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, he's really cute. Too bad I'm getting married to Key." Well, not really getting married, but enough for us to both decide to come to Boston together after college. At that point, we had sincerely talked about marriage and thought that no matter what, we wanted to be together, and that we would come to Boston and get engaged after he finishes law school in three years. How naive of me.

At some point later in the year, I got a sense that Email Boy may be interested in me, but I was happily attached to the man of my dreams that I felt sorry for Email Boy that he was liking someone in vain. And of course, I still thought he was extremely cute, athletic, outdoorsy. All in all, a perfect guy for me if I weren't planning to get married. To someone else.

I started liking Email Boy over the summer of 2005 when Key decided that I wasn't important enough for him to stay in town for the summer and took a job in DC instead (even though he had a job offer here in town). Before he left, we planned that I would visit him once in DC, and that he would visit me over July 4th weekend. I flew down as promised, but he never came to visit me. No, I'm not bitter about that still.

Email Boy and I had quite a few mutual friends (from our department as well as from common outdoorsy interests), so we had plenty of run-ins that summer. The most memorable run-in was a camping trip we all took together. There were two cars going up, but we got separated on the drive up. So my car, which had Email Boy in it, arrived first, and as it was late, and we were all tired, we decided to go ahead and pitch the tents and go to sleep instead of waiting for the other car. There were two tents for 4 people, and other two were kinda sorta dating, so that left me and Email Boy to sleep in a 2-person tent. For those not tent-trained, a 2-person tent has a base about the size of a full-size bed. Well, obviously, nothing happened, but I believe there was a lot of unspoken temptation on both of our parts.

So my feelings for Email Boy grew and grew and grew, and while I harp on the religion issue as the breaking factor for Key and me, my lack of exclusive interest for Key was also a reason (he didn't disagree; in fact, Key told me that he, too, had started thinking about wanting to date other people when I told him that I liked someone else). When Key and I broke up in October, I happened to be at a meeting the next evening with Email Boy, and he, myself, and a friend of mine grabbed some beers at the campus pub afterwards. There, I spilled the beans that Key and I had broken up, definitely well aware of the fact that I was making sure Email Boy knew I was now single and not attached.

Thus started a series of dates-that-never-were and also how he got his name of Email Boy. At the time, I was in a different office, that was actually down the hall from him. Granted, it is a long hallway, and we were at opposite ends, but you would think being on the same floor would have been a plus for us to develop something. To make a long story short, we sent multiple page emails to each other at least once a day for about a month, saw a movie that he wanted to see with two of our mutual friends (who happened to be dating) but ended up being just him and me.

All in all, after a month plus of sending emails, I got tired. He never made a move, and all of our communication was always on email. He gave me a book as a present; he got me truffles; he scheduled an ice skating thing around my schedule, skipping a day when I was out of town. Basically, he showed interested, but never acted on interest.

This all came crashing down sometime in January when he asked me to have a talk. So this was some 1.5 months after all the ridiculous emailing started. When we sat down to talk, he basically said that he never made a move beyond email because he was scared of commitment. He told a mutual friend over the summer (the same summer we slept in the same tent together) that I'm the kind of girl he sees himself marrying. So when I became available, he was scared that I would be the last relationship that he would ever be in, and he wasn't sure he was ready for that.

"Oh, and by the way mini, I'm seeing another girl."

F-ing A. He strung me along this whole time just to tell he he's now seeing another girl? He kept saying that she's not his girlfriend or anything, and they've only been on a couple of dates, and he likes her better because he doesn't know anything about her, but we're friends, and if things don't work out between us, he would lose a friend. And he's not the one to date multiple girls at the same time, so he really thought he should talk to me and tell me that things wouldn't ever lead anywhere between us. Bullshit. In my head, I imagine some brunette bombshell (not blonde, somehow I don't think he's into blondes). A few months later, I find out she's Asian, and has quite a slutty personality. I also read her blog for a while; that's how I came to the conclusion that she was slutty.

Email Boy and Slut Asian are still dating now, more than a year later, while I've gone through 2 boyfriends and countless 1st/2nd dates. So that makes me bitter, too. Not to mention that he's a grad student, and she's finishing up her senior year, which means that when they started dating, he was 26/27 dating a girl who wasn't even allowed to drink legally.

But back to the dream I had. Slut Asian is apparently an accomplished pianist. So I dreamed that RC and I went to a concerto where she was the pianist of the orchestra. We ran into Email Boy among the audience, so I said hi, and we chit chatted, and the conversation came to Slut Asian being in the concert. So I asked Email Boy, "She's the piano player, right? Or what's actually her official title?"

I was especially proud of the double entendre of using "official title". As in, what's her official title? Pianist? Or Girlfriend?

Anyway, it was just a dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is just something totally messed up about his excuse. I mean its bad if a guy acts that way, but to actually know those are the reasons behind ur actions and to keep doing them... just really weird.