Thursday, March 8, 2007

lukewarm sparks

Econ Guy and I ventured to somewhere in between our two places to have a drink. It was freezing cold out (-9F with wind chill, and no that "-" was not a typo). The beer was nice; we chatted away for a couple of hours without even noticing. I had told him ahead of time that I'd need to head out around 9:30 or so, but neither one of us had a watch. Just as I was getting alarmed on how I should go about digging for my cell phone in my jacket pocket in order to check the time, he said "so, what time is it?"

He picked up the tab for our beers. I definitely offered; he said no, making the excuse that if I can trek out to meet up with him in this cold, he can buy me my beer. Kinda lame excuse if you really think about it because he had to trek out, too, so we were even on that account ... but kinda sweet from a dating perspective :)

I needed to go by Blockbuster to return a video, so I walked with him in his direction for a little bit. He asked me if I have any big plans for the weekend, and I immediately told him that some friends and I are going to go snowboarding on Sunday. He mentioned being a skier and being brought up to hate snowboarders, so I joked that perhaps he can make an exception in this case.

In front of Blockbuster, I stopped and thanked him again and told him that I had a good time. He said, "Yeah me too. So do you want to do this again sometime?" I paused very briefly, and very enthusiastically said "yeah, that'd be great!"

I'm not sure I meant that. I mean, I know I meant it because I did have a good time, and I do want to give this another try. At the same time though, there was a bit missing, and I don't know if that's because of my general attitude toward dating now (couldn't care less) or if it's just because there's no chemistry between us.

Honestly, when I first walked in to the bar where we agreed to meet (he was there first), I scanned around looking for him, and when I found him, I thought "oooo, not as attractive as I thought." Not that I ever thought he was that attractive. Talking to him though, he looked fine close-up, so maybe it's just a distance thing.

The other thing is that I don't know if he was hinting about doing something this weekend when he asked if I had any big plans. I kinda headed off that conversation by talking about snowboarding, but now I wonder why he asked.

Oh well, I think I'll wait for him to call, do date #2 and see from there. We do have great conversations.

No comments: