Thursday, March 15, 2007

subconscious

I'm going to tell Econ Guy that I'm not ready for a relationship, and I'm really not. He called me Monday night, but before he did, I really wished that he wouldn't call me again just so I don't wouldn't to go through the motions of finding a time in my schedule to get together with him for date #2. Honestly, I don't have time for dates right now. If someone spectacular came along, I would make time, but I don't think Econ Guy really cuts it. I like being able to do things whenever I want and be able to make last minute decisions to go out with friends without feeling obligated to include another person in the plans.

Econ Guy called to ask me about going to a party this weekend, one that's being jointly put on by our two schools for St. Patrick's day. He asked me if I plan to go, and I inadvertently headed off the conversation again. I think it was his lead-in to finding something for us to do together; he might have even suggested dinner beforehand or what not. Instead of saying that I think I would be going, which is what I should have done if I were really interested, I said something about my Irish friends having a big party, and I feel like I really should go to that so I don't know if I will be able to make it out to the school-sponsored party.

That was the honest answer, but like I said, I'm sure it wasn't the answer I should have given him if I were trying to appear interested. So in the end, without even thinking about it, my subconscious was already starting to reject him.

I told him that I would give him a call later this week to let him know what I was able to work out. In the meantime, I drummed up some interest with friends to go to both. Now I don't really want to call him to tell him that I'm coming to the party Saturday night. Why? I don't know; I don't really want to see him. We have good conversations, but I'm just not attracted to him. And there's no point in forcing anything.

So I'll call him, because I told him I would, to say that in the end, I worked things out and will make it to the party after all, and that I will see him there. If he pursues anything else, I'll lay down the talk of my not being ready to date right now because I'm coming out of a recent breakup.

Which is the truth.

1 comment:

Pandax said...

It's probably good that you realize you want to slow down a bit. It can be nice to spend time getting to know yourself. At least you know that you'll have options when you choose to date again because there seem to be plenty of men who find you attractive.