Friday, July 13, 2007

hungry cranky people

Ugh. GB and I went to see Transformers with a friend of his tonight, and because of some logistical/timing difficulties, we ended up going to a 8:30pm showing without having had any dinner. By the time we got out around 11pm, neither one of us could really think of a place with an operational kitchen.

During the entire movie, he fidgeted with my hand. He was either biting my finger, or biting down on my nail, or shifting my ring around, or trying to put my fist in his mouth, etc. etc. I was getting pretty annoyed at this, but didn't say much.

Post-movie, I mentioned that it was annoying. He made a face and said sorry.

We got in my car, dropped off his friend, and started driving home while brainstorming places to eat. At this point, I was beyond hungry that I kinda just wanted to go home, but he always claims disfunctionality during extreme hunger, so he wanted to go someplace. So I snapped a bit and told him that he can go wherever he wants to, and I'll figure out something once we get to where he wants to go.

He then said something along the lines of "I am really restraining myself right now."

I threw up my hands and gave him a questioning look ... as in, "Seriously, what the f-? What are you restraining yourself from doing?"

He then said very angrily that he gets a temper when he is hungry, and he is not going to put up with any of this. (Putting up with what???)

I snapped back that at least I don't bite people's fingers.

He jumped out of the car , and slammed the door behind him and started walking down the street. I had no idea what he was so angry over, so I slowed down in front of him and gestured through the window "What the hell is going on?" with my hands.

He angrily threw his hands up in the air, gave me a nasty look, and shoved his hands forward telling me to keep going. It was a busy street; cars were honking behind me, so I drove off. As I drove off, I looked for a place further up the street to pull over, but there were none. So I just kept going and came home.

Should I have coaxed him back in the car? I mean, seriously, what the f-?? I'm angry that he jumped out of my car (moving car!) in traffic and slammed the hell out of my door. What was he even so angry about? Was it just because he was super cranky because he was hungry?

I don't know what I should have done. Maybe I should have just waited for him, even if it meant stopping in traffic. I didn't know what to do in the middle of the busy street ....

1 comment:

SG said...

It sounds like both of you were cranky from the hunger. I can't tell you what you should've done, but I'm not sure driving off helped the situation. Have you talked to him since?