Monday, September 3, 2007

Confession #1: denting a rental van

Last Thursday, I volunteered to drive a moving van to help haul stuff from one end of my company to another. On my last run around, I needed to drop off some boxes in an area with low maneuverability. Driving a large cargo van (slightly bigger than a 15-passenger), I eventually got myself stuck between two metal posts.

Looking left, looking right, I wiggled the van forward and backward, trying to dislodge myself from the bind and eventually was able to drive out of it, but not without hearing a loud "clunk clunk". When I climbed out to look, I had dented the left side of the van in three different places. One was pretty serious, and I think the repairs/body work would be pretty significant because some panels would need replacing.

I said nothing to anyone and hoped that everything would go away, praying that since I wasn't the one who rented the van nor bought the insurance, nor would I be returning the van, that the damage would 1) go unnoticed, or 2) be un-traceable back to me.

That night, I had a long dream about how an email was sent out to the entire company asking for the person who damaged the cargo van to stop being a coward and to step forward. With a guilty conscience, I woke up the next morning and thought about writing an email to confess my crime.

I never did.

Now, four days later, seemingly nothing has happened. I haven't heard anything about damages incurred to a rental cargo van, so perhaps I did get away with it after all...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You make a dent on a rental Van. I am sure that you read out the term and condition before you hire a Van.
Cheapest Rental Cars