Monday, October 29, 2007

what a blast

The party turned out to be a blast. While not all Everybody-Under-the-Sun came, quite a few people did, including several surprises. All in all, probably 250-300 people passed through Broadway's place through the course of the night. The last folks didn't leave until almost 5am, by which point, I was already obliviously passed out in bed.

In general, I go up and down in how I feel about Broadway. Lately, there have been much more ups than downs, but earlier this summer the downs were getting rather oppressive. This past weekend, there were definitely more ups, and I seem to feel more strongly about Broadway each and every day.

As much as I don't like how Broadway tries so hard to defy the mainstream, cynically refusing to do things like go to Starbucks, he does love me in his own way. It's funny how when you've dated someone for a few months, you can predict how s/he will react to a certain situation without ever being able to actually articulate the behavior trend.

Broadway only does things that fit within his inexplicable boundaries for allowable actions, but somehow finds his own ways within that repertoire to show me that he loves me in cute little ways. And every once in a while (and so far literally only once), he will even venture outside of that bubble, like when he got us tickets to see Wicked, despite his general hatred for all things Broadway, all things showtunes, and all non-hip-hop music.

Granted, it took him over a month to even get the tickets, but in the end, he set aside all of his personal biases and got us the tickets for my birthday because it was something that I had always wanted to see. I've sort of accepted that no one will be perfect, and I've also been questioning less and less whether or not I can be with Broadway longer-term.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, Broadway is extremely particular.

No comments: