Friday, October 26, 2007

party, party, party

Broadway and his roommates have a gorgeous place, a heaven for party-planners/throwers. They've lived together now for three years, and have had a bit of a reputation for throwing nice parties. When I started dating Broadway, my party-planning inner child almost immediately began scheming for how I could get in on some party-throwing action.

That chance came tonight. It's been a while since their last party, and my birthday is this Sunday, so together we're throwing a party. I would pitch in for th eparty costs and in return, be able to invite my friends.

Proud to show off a beautiful place as if it were my own, I invited everybody under the sun. Except the assholes. The assholes got an excel list of their own and were all deliberately excluded.

One side-effect of inviting everybody under the sun is that it loses some semblance of intimacy, not to mention that everybody under the sun ranges from good good friends to fringe acquaintanes. For example, I also invited Fringe Acquaintance's ex-wife. Fringe has said that he was coming for sure (despite having an early morning flight tomorrow), but who knows about ex-wife? And should I feel guilty for having invited the both of them? (Not purposefully to create awkward situations, but both being fringe friends, they both appeared on the party invite list of "Everybody Under the Sun")

There were some 350 Everybody-Under-the-Sun's, and since it's not a formal enough party to ask for RSVPs, I actually have no idea how many would come. All 350 would clearly be ridiculous: Broadway has a big place, but not THAT big. 50 would be altogether too disappointing. I would think I had better friends than that.

About 30 people have written back to my email invite, with the great majority of them along the lines of "So sorry I won't be able to come! I'm going out of town this weekend!"

Then there were the others who said "Sorry, my other friend's having a party!"

Is your other friend also having a birthday? No, I didn't think so. Strike 1.

Anyways, I'm hoping that of the others who have not written back, most are planning to show up. I tell myself, only half-jokingly, that this will be a good indicator of whom my real friends are :)

No comments: