Tuesday, December 25, 2007

not feeling any better

Last night's post was prompted by a fight Broadway and I had right before going to sleep. The gist of it was his saying we have all kinds of communications devices, there's no reason to prolong phone conversations, especially when we've been talking to each other throughout the day on gchat. My perspective was that talking on gchat doesn't do it for me, especially when he's multi-tasking, and I end up drumming my fingers waiting for the "typing..." indication and finally the actual message.

He asked since we have so much communication, why do we need to keep talking over the phone? To which I said I like the phone, and it gives me a sense of intimacy that's impossible over IM. To which he replied that the phone is no better than IM to him; they're all the same, and none of them can replace actual personal interactions.

Fine, I said, but we're not together right now (I'm home for the holidays, he's still up in Boston), so the phone is the best we can do, the closest we can get to personal interactions. He went back to the point that the phone's no better than IM, and we talk all the time over IM. Finally I said since he seems to have a personal limit to how much he can talk to me in one day and with so many IM conversations, he sees the phone as unnecessary, and since the phone and IM are the same to him, I'd prefer that we just talk on the phone.

He claimed that I was making a stressful long-distance situation even more stressful.

I'm not sure how we even got into such a big fight, over communications with each other no less. He thinks that I'm stressed out about being away, and I think that's the most laughable idea. HE's the one who's stressed out, and somehow that's manifesting itself in weird ways like not wanting to talk on the phone.

We finally hung up, but then proceeded to argue more over IM, which is good and bad: because of the lack of intonation, I can't tell when he's angry angry and will just keep on saying things. We left things with my questioning the relationship (because of the same thoughts written here), and him being extremely angry.

The really bad part is that when I woke up this morning, I didn't feel any differently, and usually a night's sleep helps to mellow me out and makes me see all the things that I did wrong. I don't deny that I probably did some wrong in our fight last night, but I also can't help still feeling like that I'm settling.

No comments: