Tuesday, January 15, 2008

job options bust

I've been thinking hard about taking some time off from my current job to try something else, and had applied for a pretty out there option. Today, I got news that the job is a no-go. The position is no longer available, but I wondered if that was just an euphemism for "We weren't impressed".

Right before Thanksgiving, I set up an appointment with a non-profit in town who helps college students find summer internships in China. The guy I met with said he could help me, too. Indeed, my flexibility of not being restricted to work during the summer may actually be a plus over the college kids.

He also made everything seem so possible and in-the-bag. He had the perfect position in mind for me given my interests and background, and that he would contact the employer ASAP. I walked out of his office whistling, so ecstatic that my dream of working in China would actually come true.

Today, almost two months later, he emailed me to say that position was no longer available.

And during those two months, I didn't look for anything else.

I feel so stupid at my own naivete. I know better than to count on one source, even if the guy's a excellent salesman who so convincingly told me that he would get me the job. I knew better than to stop looking for a job right after starting the search just because this non-profit was offering me my dream of working in China.

During those two months, several deadlines had passed for fellowships I would have potentially applied for. I let them all go, thinking each time, "Why do I need this? Mr. Non-Profit is getting me a job in China."

Getting the news today was devastating. I don't even know if it's worth it anymore. Would a few months on a job really help to advance my career next year? Would I even be able to find something that would fit me and where I want to advance?

Why do I want to leave my current cushy job to try something else in the middle of my contract?

I'm just so sad that the non-profit let me down. I feel misled, lied to even. I simply had my hopes up too high.

4 comments:

daisy said...

I'm really sorry to hear this. I imagine there are still a lot of opportunities available, even at this date, if you set aside a few hours a week to look for them seriously. I'm kind of in the same place myself, where I've been holding off *really* looking for a job because I'm hoping one will just happen by, but I'm also starting to realize some real elbow-grease is going to be necessary. Damn.

Wicked Words said...

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment. I applied for a non-profit position a few months ago and they never even got back to me, so you should feel heartened that they felt you merited a reply at least (I know that sounds trite, but it's true). Keep keepin' at it. That's all we can do.

geekhiker said...

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. You are, unfortunately, not the first person I have known to be burned by a non-profit.

Perhaps you want to leave the current cushy job because you're simply burning for some change in life?

Seine said...

thanks guys, for being so supportive!!

daisy: i know what you mean ... i need to just get off my butt

kristina: good luck with your search!!

geekhiker: *sigh* you're totally right, i really feel like i need a change. i'm a bit stuck until June 2009 for now b/c of my contract, but my boss is letting me take some time off this year if I want to start exploring other options. i really just need to get out of where i am now