Friday, January 11, 2008

the Economics of BookMooch

I joined BookMooch on a whim while sitting on my butt at home over the holidays. It's a book-swap program where you mail books you have to people, and they mail you books they have.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, as I had always wished my books would get more use than my once read-through. It also seemed like a cheaper (free) way to get books than buying them at the bookstore at $10-20 a pop.

Yesterday, I sent off my first batch of books, all three of them, to Illinois, Washington, and Florida. That's when I stopped to think about the actual economics of BookMooch, and no matter how I thought about it, I lost out.

Mailing the books cost me about $12: the Post Office charged me $1.39 + tax per envelope for the books, and I mailed them Media Rate (lower than First Class) at $2.31 each.

So basically, instead of allowing those three books to continue sitting on my shelf, I paid $12 to send them to complete strangers.

So you're probably asking, well, I get books sent to me too from others, right? Well, theoretically. Doing a quick search for five books I wanted to read, I found only one. Additionally, the whole site is based on a point system. You get a point for sending a book, and it charges you a point to request a book. So in the end, the cost of shipping a book is essentially what I pay to get the next book, provided that it's even available in the first place.

Compare that to Amazon: most paperbacks I can get ~$7, and if I order a few of them at a time, I get the free Super-Saver shipping. That's only $3 more than my shipping off my own books to BookMoochers. Not only do I have an infinite selection with Amazon, but I also get the books new with zero hassle on my part.

Ugh, I have three points from the three books I sent, so I will find three books to request if it kills me. After that, I am done with BookMooch.

3 comments:

Annie said...

My Mom goes to her local library and finds hardbacks, just released for under $4 and paperbacks for a quarter. I guess they have a program where you donate the books to the library after you read them, then they sell them on the cheap!! You can donate them right back again when you are finished. Check it out, it might work for you!

geekhiker said...

I thought about suggesting the library. I mean, I really should. But I realized that it would make me sound just like my thrifty Parents, and I just can't go there...

Seine said...

*sigh* but the library's so far away! you guys are both right, and I really am being super lazy to not go to the library. i used to never buy books ...

one problem with the library is that with popular reads, it takes a while before it gets around to your turn with the book