Thursday, July 31, 2008

fail

Fail #1
I felt an oncoming cold sore yesterday-ish, which prompted me to curse for two reasons: a) I don't want New Guy on the Block to see me at our game/post-game celebrations tomorrow with a cold sore, and b) I'm in the wedding of of a high-strung girl next Thursday, and I'm not sure she'd be able to handle my having a cold sore ruining her wedding day. Fail #1a ... at life. Forces of nature always work against me to give me cold sore at the most inopportune times.

After some online searching, I dashed to the local CVS for some 10% docosanol cream. 0.07 oz costed $21. Fail #1b.

Fail #2
With it being National Cheesecake Day and all, I convinced Broadway to dine at the Cheesecake Factory and to take advantage of $1.50 cheesecake slices. When we showed up around 8:45pm, we were told it would be a 1-1.5 hour wait for two people. Fail #2a.

We happened to run into three friends who were equally dejected and in line for cheesecake, and together we decided to eat at the nearby California Pizza Kitchen instead. Our strategy was that we'd finish dinner just in time to be seated for cheesecake dessert. We hit Fail #2b when the Cheesecake Factory buzzer went off right before our pizzas arrived, and we had to give up our spot in line.

Not ones to give up on cheesecake, we went back to the Factory after dinner around 10:30pm, thinking the lines would be shorter--they weren't. One of the guys did some sweet talking the hostess, who miraculously bumped us to the front of the line. This cut down our wait from 45 minutes to 15. Success? Think again ...

After taking our drink orders of 5 waters, our waiter told us that cheesecake slices were on a 45 minutes delay. ????? Resigned to our fate, we did order. Our cheesecake finally arrived an hour and fifteen minutes later. At 11:30pm, I was too tired to eat cheesecake anymore. How could we have failed so badly at cheesecake?

Fail #3 (or really just one contiguous fail from the previous two)
Our waiter forgot to punch in the cheesecake discount when he brought our bill, so we didn't get the $1.50 promo price after all. After a bit of complaining, the bill was corrected, we paid, and finally headed home.

When I got home, I dug through my CVS bag, only to find that my $4800/lb cold sore ointment (that's right, I did the math) was in fact no longer anywhere to be found. I think it fell out while I fidgeted with it during the 1hr+ of cheesecake waiting. It will probably go out with the July 30 National Cheesecake Day trash at the good ol' Cheesecake Factory.

Fail. Fail. Fail.

3 comments:

Nicky said...

Hey, sounds like a bad time.

I have gotten cold sores for years and they always come at terrible times. A few years ago my dentist prescribed me some acyclovir, and I have been getting it ever since. You can use it two ways: way 1 is to take 1 tablet a day, and it minimizes outbreaks -- they're way less frequent. Way 2 is if you feel a tingle, you take a big dose, (2000mg, I think? but check) and then another one 12 hours later, and the cold sore is WAY smaller and goes away MUCH faster.

It's the best thing I've discovered. And it's cheap -- something like $14 for 100 tablets, at least on my prescription plan. I've had regular doctors, planned parenthood, and dentists all prescribe it; they'll perhaps even do it over the phone. I wish I'd known about this years ago.

Good luck.

Sitcomgirl said...

never had cold sores, but my friends all swear by Abreva. Maybe that will work?

geekhiker said...

Aw, man, some days are just like that. Since I'm commenting a bit late, I can only hope that today was better.

And that somehow I will remember National Cheesecake Day next year... :)