Tuesday, July 22, 2008

new guy on the block

Just when things had been going so well with Broadway, this new guy joined our frisbee team.

It's weird how attraction works. It's either there, or it's not. It's hard to predict how it happens, or when it will happen. I meet plenty of new people every day, many of them guys around my age. Some of them are married, living with their girlfriends, etc.. Others are single. Either way, within a couple of minutes of talking to them, I breathe a sigh of relief that I'm with Broadway and not any of them.

He is different.

My first encounter with him was platonic enough; there certainly wasn't any out-of-the-ordinary attraction on my part. He was just another guy, albeit cute. Very cute. I picked him out of the crowd for being cute, and maybe we made eye contact. I can't remember. That's how forgettable he was. I never expected to see him again.

The next day, last Thursday, he showed up on my regular summer frisbee team, as our new recruit. Our captain felt that we'd need an extra guy, since quite a few of our male players were on vacation. Then it took only one look, and I knew I was hooked. I knew I had a crush on the guy. From the way he looked at me, I knew that he had also remembered me from the day before.

Why do coincidences like this, these mutual rememberings, never happen when I'm single?

By the time we finished the game last Thursday, I knew only his name and that he can run really really fast. I knew nothing else at all, yet all weekend long I anxiously looked forward to tonight's game, so that I could see him again. I prayed that he would come out to dinner with us after the game, so that I could actually talk to him. He did.

Inconspicuously, I hung back for just the right amount of time such that the only open seat at the restaurant table was next to him. I took it.

Reading over menus, I leaned in and asked him questions. Whether due to circumstances--we were short on menus, so I asked to use his after he'd picked what he wanted--or perhaps he too was interested, he revisited the menu several times after I had borrowed his, used it, and closed it back up. In revisiting, he always placed it a bit too unnecessarily in front of me, so that he too could lean in, read the menu, and almost graze my shoulder with his. One time, he did.

Age comes up a lot on our team, since most players are much older. I quickly took the chance to ask his age. 26. Which means I am still the youngest player on our team, and more importantly, that he is older than me.

I am way too distracted for being not single.

This is not good.

4 comments:

Not So Little Woman said...

Boy. This is a big one. I know exactly how it is when one feels this way. I've always though that it's normal to think someone is cute and even feel attracted to them a bit. We are human after all. The issue is if the attraction is too strong. Then it's a matter of asking oneself why. In my experience when it really hit, it just pointed to something I knew was wrong in the relationship, just didn't want to see it. Make sense?
Good luck with this!

geekhiker said...

*sigh* You're right, they never do seem to happen when you're single. It's exactly when you're not single, when you're not looking, when you're all satisfied and happy, that they show up.

Good luck, my friend...

meg said...

It is perfectly normal to be attracted to other people while in a long term relationship. I'm glad everything with Broadway is going well, though!

Sitcomgirl said...

Sometimes we need a little crush to make the day more fun. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, or that it means bad things will happen or that Broadway is lacking something.
Maybe things like this don't happen when single cause there's a relaxed comfort we have that comes across when in a relationship?