Friday, February 11, 2011

one step forward, two steps back

Developments along several fronts:

1) Special Friend and I defined our relationship. We defined it as "friends with benefits." However, since defining it, there haven't been any benefits. In fact, the momentum for benefits is gone. It's as if our defining our relationship actually killed it. I want benefits because I always want benefits. But I think about benefits with Special Friend, and the mood just isn't even there. I imagine that he probably feel the same way since I haven't heard from him at all since our little DTR talk.

2) I told HB that he doesn't engage me. He said that he agreed. He claims it's because he is exhausted working 12+ hour days with no weekends. I told him I was afraid it was just his personality. I stopped short at saying that I didn't think he was intelligent enough to engage me intellectually. I'm pretty much an elitist bitch.

3) Met a quality boy last weekend. At a bar. Well, actual quality is yet to be determined. We had some scheduling difficulties this week, so we're getting dinner next Wednesday. He is tall, blonde, gorgeous, and definitely held up his end of the conversation. I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Who meets quality people at a bar? He also turned out to have a collaboration project with one of my lab mates. Small world.

4) A really good girlfriend of mine revealed today that she was raped at 19. She was in a big group of women, including me, when she blurted it out. She didn't elaborate on the circumstances under which this happened, and I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet... but she did seem relieved to have the secret lifted off her shoulders after so many years (she's currently 27). I wonder though, if she will come to regret the openness of the revelation given that most of the women there were merely acquaintances.

As for me, I'm still digesting this piece of information, but my gut reaction was "wow, that explains so much about her chronic destructive behavior around men." I, as her best friend in the room, remained stoic and unemotional, while the other women around me cried.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I want benefits, too. Doesn't everybody want benefits?

Hope the guy you met in the bar turns out to be a quality guy (and hoping that isn't what the post above is about, as I haven't read it yet).

So, why do you think you remained stoic and unemotional? And was that just on the outside, or on the inside as well?