Tuesday, September 26, 2006

racist asian parents

I call my parents once a week, almost always on Sunday nights, but this past Sunday, I forgot. So I called last night, talked to them some about my upcoming thesis proposal, our trip to China, etc. etc. During the entire conversation, I was debating whether or not to tell them about RC. Finally, at the end, after my mom had nagged me enough about all sorts of random things, I blurted out, "mom, I'm seeing someone."

I think, for me, telling my parents about a guy is a definite sign that I am comfortable with how things are, where things are going, and I am ready to face the world with him being associated with me (though not a necessarily defined association). When I was younger, I was deathly afraid of telling my parents about guys because they were so against me dating. Even when Key and I started dating our third year in college, it took me a couple of months AFTER we had made things official to tell my mom and dad. I think all of this stemmed from their adamant disapproval of me dating at such a "young" age, "young" being the asian definition of young.

I am lucky that my parents now encourage me to date and whole-heartedly accept my dating. I know that sounds really weird since I am almost 24 now, but I definitely know of Asian friends my age whose parents still frown on their dating, which I think is absolutely ridiculous and close-minded. So anyways, my point here is that I think I am going along a comfortable path with RC, enough so that I told my parents about him.

I don't have a good track record of dating Asian guys (I generally don't), so one of the first things my parents always ask when I tell them I'm dating someone is "What's his race?" They don't care that much: white, asian, half asian, even Brazilian are okay (the Brazilian was okay because I assured my mother that he is very fair-skinned looks like he's white). I rarely ever stray outside of white, asian, half-asian, anyways.

Well, RC is half white, half American Indian. When I told my mom, she immediately became alarmed, and the ignorant questions poured in: "how dark is he?" "does he look black?" "Indians look black you know?" "I bet his mom is really dark" etc. etc. etc.

I tried to placate my mom by saying, "Well, Indians were once Asian; they came over across Alaska, so really RC has Asian roots." That didn't work so well. She insisted that I tell her how dark RC is, so I told her that RC is about the same color as I am when I am tan during the summer. That was probably not the right thing to say; I probably should have just left it at "he's about the same as me." My mom further freaked out when I compared RC to my summer tan, "oh my god, you are SO dark when you get tan in the summer. That is too dark. I don't approve."

She flat out said, "I don't approve." I was speechless. I kinda knew this conversation was coming, and had I given things more thought, I wouldn't have brought it up this early. The conversation then led to all the races I absolutely cannot date. "Well, at least half Native American is better than Black," my mom told me.

I decided to fight back a little because I was getting more and more angry the more she talked, "So what if I dated someone black? Would that really be the end of the world?" I asked.

My mother flipped. "Blacks are absolutely unacceptable. I will not allow it," she said. Then she added, "Indians, too. No Indians. You hear?"

I left the conversation at that because I knew this to be something my mother and I would never be able to see eye-to-eye on. It is times like this that I am glad I never told my mom about the Mozambique guy whom I dated in college. I actually really liked that guy, but I never told my parents about him because I knew the race issue would never fly. I didn't really see long-term potential with him, so I decided it was a battle better left un-fought.

The conversation with my mom yesterday ended with her highly encouraging me to send her a picture of RC. "When you get a chance, find a picture of him and send it to me. I need to see how dark he is." I have some pictures from our mutual friend's wedding (where RC and I met), but I don't really like those pictures of him, so I'm hesitant to send them. With certain people, you send the bad pictures of your friend/date so that their opinion of the person can only get better with time. With my mother, I have to absolutely send the best picture and try to win her over on the first try. If she decides that she does not like a person by his picture, his chances of ever getting on her good side would be forever slim-to-none.

3 comments:

Pandax said...

Ai yaaaaaah! Boy, how many times have I heard this story play out with friends. Honestly, I don't think any family can stay they're totally open to any race, but Asians are the worst.

I have a friends who is dating an Indian man. He is very dark. It doesn't matter that he owns his own business and treats her well. Her mother told her she needed to "stop seeing him for awhile and then [she'd] understand why it's not a good idea." My own mother started to cry when I told her about it. Sheesh!

My cousin is married to a Puerto Rican man. He is dark and looks part Black. It's especially traumatic for them since none of the girls came to the states until they were college age. They're all still nice to her but embarrassed to talk about her with others.

Pandax said...

Ran off to lunch... I know it's hard when you want to share a happy time in your life and parents shut you down.

What I've learned is that only time will ease the conflict. It also takes a good man to be patient with such parents. Some parents do come around, especially once there are grandchildren. Unfortunately, in some cases, people have to settle for a parent who's willing to visit child and the grandchildren but not the spouse.

I know my uncle likes interacting with his grandkids, but it'll never be ideal to him.

legare said...

WHOA. so...




i got nothin'


wait, i have a question: are chinese parents worse than indian parents? remember all the shit that went down with our high school friends at g?
my mom's cousin married a black man a few years ago and everyone kept saying "oh, well he's not that dark..." i found it comical, but i know it's not really for the person whose family is spazing about some melanin... love you.