Monday, June 18, 2007

not that I generally wish this on people ...

A few weeks ago, I ran into an acquaintance at a celebration reception for a retiring member of our school's top administration. In typical chit-chat fashion, we went through the formalities of asking each other what was new. His answer was typically cryptic, that so much was new, but he didn't have the time nor desire to go through all of it at that particular moment.

Okay ... Well, good day, and good luck on everything; I'm going to get another drink, and I'm sure I'll see you around. *Fake teeth-flashing smile* (Not).

To his credit, he did throw me a bone and allude to the fact that his wife of two years and he had recently separated, to which I made an empathetic face and expressed my concern. I gave my well-wishes, saying something vague and empty like "All relationships are hard. Good luck."

After I turned away to "get another drink", my actual thought was, "I wouldn't be surprised if your wife left you because you're an arrogant prick". This sentiment stems back to when I first met him some two years ago, realized that he was married to a cute girl, and immediately gawked to myself wondering just who in the world would marry this asshole.

Last week, Facebook declared both Uber-Prick and ex-wife to be single, so I guess they really are going through with the divorce (both of them are under 25!). Not that I generally wish this on people, but I kinda feel a sense of vigilante justice that he got what he deserved.

No comments: