Thursday, October 25, 2007

what to make of this?

An acquaintance texted me early in the afternoon:

"I'm thinking about walking by where you are. Wanna take a break from work?"

I kindly declined, making up an excuse that I had to get some work done before a 3pm meeting. The truth was, I wasn't comfortable going to hang out with him.

This guy has always been an fringe acquaintance. By chance at a mutual friend's BBQ one day, he found out that I also play frisbee. Since both of our day schedules are fairly flexible, he mentioned that he'd call me sometime to take a work break and throw some discs while the weather's still nice.

Sounded good to me. I'm always up for throwing.

Except when we did get together to throw about a week later, he mentioned that he just moved to a new place and that I should come over to see it, and "maybe we can get a drink sometime." I played dumb and suggested he throw a housewarming party and that I would come for sure to help celebrate.

Of course the thought crossed my mind that he meant more than just wanting to show his place to a friend, but then it seemed so unlikely that he would have any other intentions given that I thought it was fairly common knowledge that I have a boyfriend. Though being a fringe acquaintance, he may have never picked up on that.

I'm not sure how many more times I can come up with an excuse as to why I can't hang out. I definitely don't want to go have drinks with him...

Then again, he is very recently divorced (or separated, I'm not sure if the paperwork's official yet), so perhaps he really is just lonely and wants someone to hang out with.

No comments: