Wednesday, October 24, 2007

today's snippets

My presentation Monday went really well. Part of the presentation was my pitching a brand new idea, and since my boss had very little time to look over my slides and give me feedback, I was really worried about getting grilled by him and everyone else. I lead a small project, and this was my one-year progress report to several fringe senior folks who fund the project. Over the last year though, the project hasn't really been going the way that I want it to, so I pitched a new idea to the very top-level people on Monday to see if they would agree with a change in direction.

They were open-minded, which was great! But they wanted to keep talking about the idea for a few weeks (months) before really going forward with it sometime next Spring. I would have wanted to start earlier, but I suppose I do have my hands pretty full right now.

In other news, I'm starting to get sick of my frisbee team. I play on two: one coed, and one all women. The coed one is incredibly fun, and we sort of just play for the sake of playing. The tournament this past weekend was with this team.

The all-women's team on the other hand, is starting to seriously get on my nerves. It is a much bigger commitment: we have 2.5-hour practices 2-3 times a week, and practice is just torture. I can't explain it, but I just feel like practices are complete wastes of my time. Not to brag, but I think I'm in better physical condition than most of the girls on the team, and I'm in general much faster. So doing drills are just silly for me when I'm consistently beating the girl covering me, though I do have to admit that the practices have helped my defensive game.

In general my philosophy is just so different from these women. They are very hard-core and want to play hard-core ultimate. I really have no interest in that. I love the game, and I love playing, but I like it in a laid-back way. I'll play it as long as it remains fun for me, and these practices just aren't fun.

So anyway, after practice yesterday, I was asking myself why I keep going if I dislike it so much? I'm at a point beyond where I need to learn self-control and do things even though I hate doing them ... so why bother?

But if I quit, I will feel like such a quitter. Ugh. Such is the dilemma. I'll probably stick with it for a bit longer. The weather's getting colder by the minute as well, so we won't be practicing for much longer.

No comments: