Wednesday, December 5, 2007

christmas is for everyone

We had our first snowstorm this past weekend, and there is still plenty of ice and cold-weather hazards on the ground. I have long stopped biking around, preferring to just drive everywhere. Driving down a road last night, I noticed a biker up ahead (thank goodness he had lights). He seemed much taller than a normal biker, and his general shape was off.

When I got closer, I realized that he was not only biking on icy roads in sub-freezing temperatures, but that he had a Christmas tree strapped to him. He biked with his right hand on the right handlebar grip, and his left hand raised over his shoulder gripping the trunk of the tree. The tree hung upside down from his left hand, along his back.

I should have stopped and offered him a ride. I hesitated because I was already well past him when I realized he was transporting a tree. I hesitated because I didn't have room in my car for a bike and a tree. I hesitated because I just didn't have the guts to stop, yet I wasn't entirely sure what I was afraid of. In a way, I didn't want to be THAT person who is trying too hard to be the good samaritan. In all this hesitation, I just kept driving.

I think I will remember, and regret, not stopping to offer him a ride for a long time to come.

No comments: