Monday, May 2, 2011

roller coasters

I still haven't seen College Ed. He canceled our "date" last Tuesday because he got sick (or "sick" depending on how cynical I'm feeling), and then had an insane week before heading out for a family wedding this weekend.

Email evidence for "he likes me and wants to date me":

"I'll tell you more when I see you" - when he canceled Tuesday afternoon, using "when" versus "if"

"I disappeared... sorry I went awol" - on Friday. Your guess is as good as mine for his motivations to apologize. I wouldn't have thought twice about it - seemed to me like a natural "wait period" in between dates.

"What does tomorrow night look like for you?" - tonight, presumably asking me to do something tomorrow night (Monday).

Evidence for "he might be just being nice and has second thoughts all the time":

He got sick, or "sick" and canceled our "date".

He sucks at responding to email. I emailed back within an hour tonight tonight saying that I am free anytime tomorrow. I heard nothing more.

He's picky. Why would he pick me?

----

When he canceled last Tuesday, I wasn't myself. The cancellation destroyed me for hours. All I could do was to sulk and to complain and rant to whomever would listen. Eventually, a friend had had enough.

"Seine. What the hell are you doing?" he said. "I have never seen you like this. Get your shit together."

"I haven't been like this for a long time. I don't overanalyze or overthink about boys. Boys are boys, and I thought I'd grown out of my crazy phase about boys. But it turns out that I'm still as crazy as ever. It's just that the crazy's had no chance to come out because it's been so long since I've liked a boy this much."

"Okay, I get that," he said, "but you've got a thesis to write. Get your shit together."

So I biked home from school to get some fresh air, and convinced myself down from the crazy ladder.

In the end, College Ed is just another boy. If he likes me, he likes me. If he wants to date me, he wants to date me. If he doesn't, he doesn't. No amount of craziness or overthinking on my part will change that about him.

So that's where I am now: cautiously progressing with no expectations, ready to pull back at any second and call it "just friends." We might see each other other tomorrow night, but I'm not holding my breath so that if we don't, I'm not destroyed again.


2 comments:

Me said...

Don't waste your time on him. Men that are really into a woman dont' go AWOL. They respond to email, they give you a call, they text, they show you that they think about you and can't wait to see you again instead of using excuses for not calling.

I think that's universal. I might be in my mid-30s, but that shit hasn't changed since forever. I think he wanted to "hang out" again so quickly to "make out". I may be wrong on this, not so in tune with the 20-somethings these days, but I would move right along. If he wants you, he will come.

Anonymous said...

For the most part, guys say what they mean without a lot of underlying things being said. I would actually give him the benefit of the doubt: if he says he got sick, take him at face value and assume that he got sick. To assume anything else without evidence is on you, not him, know what I mean?

Besides, he's also inquiring into your schedule by asking what "tomorrow night was looking like for you". This kinda tells me that he's interested; if he wasn't, I would have expected something more general like "we'll set up something 'at some point'".

Of course, those are just my guesses. Wait and see and, you're right, don't get too committed (which, of course, is advice that's nearly impossible to follow).

As for why he would pick you, why do you need to ask that? It's because you're cool!